Sunday, December 7, 2008

Robo trippin







Evaluating this project should be funny because this mostly definitely pushed me more than any project i have ever done thus far in film school. As i said in my last post my 48 hour video project turned into a 20 something hour video race due to all the other work i had due on the same days i had to work. So first of all i knew i wanted to do stop motion i had been working with alot of stop motion in this class as well as experimental film and i really love the way the projects have come out thus far. So as i was home for thanksgiving i went searching around my house. I came around a few drawers in my library/computer room of all over wires and electronics that were out of date and most likely useless. i found a few old video cameras that i had bak in the days off my young pup skateboarding videos that i had destroyed and no longer worked. I figured out since in the project we were not aloud to use a video camera the way i would open it up was destroying one. The idea came from there i make a whole world out of old obsolete electronics and such with stop motion. So i packed up my bag full of electronics and wires and hoped to good security at the airport did not think i was a terrorist. I made it home to wilmington without prosecution and went about to get my prop and hopefully try it into my idea. So dylan picked up my prop for me since i was already working on my pile of other school work. He picked told me they were cookie cutters. i was very happy because i thought the metal idea would match my electronic idea very well. To my surprise he picked me up a bear cookie cutter and the idea of him being a robot bear popped right into my head. So i finished up my music video for experimental at around 9pm on tuesday in the editing lab and rushed home. I ordered a pizza continued to not bathe myself and got to work. I started out with the camera and the idea was supposed to be like someone getting really frustrated with their little mini dv video camera and just fucking it up... cuz i know theres a few times ive wanted to do that, and it felt great to take a sledge hammer to it. So i went on to doo all my stop motion till about 1 or 2 and then started to upload all the still photos and make the stop motion sequences into quicktime movies to avoid problems in the exporting stage which i learned from a project earlier in the year. Doing a project like this makes to very conscious of playing it safe because if you have problems exporting last minute your fucked. So i most definitely played it safe with the technical side. I stopped editing at about 6 am when i was falling asleep in between renderings. I woke up at around 11am and started editing and making titles and such. I got pretty close to completing th edit and decided it needed more. i had stopped in south caroline on the way back from the airport and purchased some fireworks. and i had an already blue-screen painted canvas from an older project. i ran outside and tried to film some quick blue screen smoke and explosions. i didnt light and thing i just prayed for them to work alittle bit because i didnt really have time. It funny how your brain works when your under pressure. some of them worked some didnt and had to just change the opacity but it think it turned out okay. I exported to my video camera because i didnt have to time to go to the lab and find a deck that worked. This was at about 4 30. i jumped into the shower grabber tacobell and ran to jengos to practice our installation for experimental. Due to the circumstances i had the 48 hour video race almost killed me., but it made me grow alot and showed me what i was really capable of. It is quite a challenge to doo everything in 48 hours. granted i had a concept but i really just got lucky that it worked out with my prop so well. All in all looking back now this was one of the best projects we had all year. It was really interesting to see what everyone else came up with as well.

ps maybe this format should be in 6x1 2.0 post a web version of your video and then right you evaluation over top of it. just an idea

No comments: